Doha Intercontinental Hotel

Doha Intercontinental Hotel
Beach

Saturday 29 September 2012

Amazing women in Qatar - and Robert Kennedy College dissertation

You men out there might want to skip this post because I'm going to spend some time talking about the amazing and inspirational women I have met whilst I have been in Qatar. 

The reason I have been prompted to spend time thinking about this is because I am nearing the point of deciding on the subject of my Master's Degree dissertation research and I am very interested in the topic of how Qatari women leaders are making great strides here in the country, nationally and internationally. I would very much like to leave a legacy behind me that is of use to some of the younger women I have had the pleasure of meeting through my work and social activities in encouraging them to keep battling away at the barriers and obstacles they face to progress in their careers.

I have had several women batting for me as I have progressed through my own career who deserve a mention - my Mum, who is a tower of strength, still learning at 87 and supportive of whatever I do; my daughter who has her own degree, thriving career and has encouraged me all the way in new endeavours including working overseas at a very mature age; my good friend Judy, who was a staunch supporter when I began my serious studies at the age of 35 and kept telling me I could do it and would not let me give up; my many colleagues at NIACE who were a wonderful resource and support through the six years I was there - I learnt so much from them.


Now I am learning again from a new group of friends and colleagues who continue to stagger me with their hospitality, friendship, support and courage to come to a strange country, often following their husbands and uprooting their children, looking for work but taking it all in their stride. I have met more women in eighteen months, from so many different nationalities, cultural backgrounds, business sectors than I met in an entire lifetime in the UK. Add to this, my new friends and colleagues, also female, from the RKC Master's course, also from international backgrounds, and the circle expands again - Maria - Brigita - Sandrine - Marcela - Ines - Sarah - I could go on and on.


Back to Qatar - as part of my work, I have met many young Qatari women who are trying to progress in their careers. Many of them are working in the public sector - ie the Ministries, as this is considered a safe option for them. Many more are attempting the entrepreneurship route - this is being well supported by many women's organisations at the moment and a lot of public and private resource is going into their networks, training, encouraging them to branch out and overcome the bureacracy of setting up a business here.There are many barriers to doing so, not least the need for finance, sponsorship, premises and approval of their family, husband, father etc.

There are many fantastic Qatari women with wonderful ideas - in the world of fashion, industry, sport and many more sectors.For the first time ever, they have sent girls to the London 2012 Olympics. They are making a name for themselves on the Arab Business Women's List 2012. Our own ictQATAR Secretary General, Dr Hessa Al Jabar, is no 30.



They have a fantastic role model in Sheikha Moza Bint Nassar, the wife of the Emir of Qatar - she is seen frequently in the world press and has become something of a fashion icon, in much the same way as Princess Diana did in the UK. However, she is more than that - she believes strongly in the leadership role of Qatari women and wastes no opportunity to promote it. She has been the inspiration for many I have spoken to.


One of the barriers the young Qatari women here face is that they have qualifications but not experience. If they are lucky enough to be allowed by their families to study abroad and gain degrees, they come back to jobs where they are in senior positions without the experience they need. This is where ex-patriates have a value to help and support them. This is called Qatarization but sadly, the numbers do not stack up - the current population of 1.7m only includes 30-40% Qataris and not all of these are in the workforce. The rest of the workforce comprises ex-patriates and the largest majority of these are low skilled migrant workers. It will be a long time before the Qataris are in sufficient numbers to reduce their dependency on foreign workers.

Neverthless it is a privilege to work with the Qatari women here. They are proud, intelligent, confident and determined to succeed.

5 comments:

  1. Great post Patricia...you could be a catalyst for change!
    Good luck to you and your team :)

    Best,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia - a really interesting read and sounds like a fascinating topic for your dissertation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Qatar is an Islamic state, and the culture of Islam with Incorporation in Qatar is greatly based in the Qatari personality. Islamic traditions regulate the common way of life; care must be taken to regard this, particularly in such issues as the dress rule.Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have searching for some services about my dissertation writing so I have searched many web page and got to know about
    dissertation services.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then what you would go to accomplish once you have red this kind of? If anyone care, do it right now and try to remember if you use it.

    Qatar dissertation help

    ReplyDelete